Starting A Capsule Wardrobe





In my efforts to scale back shopping and accumulating unnecessary stuff, I bought 2 pairs of shoes.

So this thing exists called a capsule wardrobe-- here's the quick and dirty Wikipedia definition:

Capsule wardrobe is a term coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called "Wardrobe" in the 1970s. According to Faux, a capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces.

While I don't believe I will need trousers (those are just PANTS, right?) or coats, I can see my life being more streamlined with go-to pieces that I will actually go to.

(Also we don't have seasons in South Florida, so it's either hot or not as hot.)

My thought process with clothes goes like this: At night I'm thinking tomorrow I'll wear that sassy dress, chunky necklace and high wedges. At 7 am I'm sleepwalking and throwing on ANY BLACK TOP, jeans that don't cut off my circulation, and well-worn flip flops. 

Over the weekend I'm musing about a flowy top and white jeans, come 7 am Monday morning I'm grabbing ANY BLACK TOP,  jeans and flip flops. My pattern is clear, but it's hard to see when there's so much cute stuff to buy. 

So I'm trying to buy stuff I will actually wear, and throwing out or giving away stuff I don't wear.

The black shirt I bought (in My Aspirational Wardrobe) has so far served me well. I think I've worn it 10 times. So good choice with the shirt. Except it's missing...

The end game here is to spend less money on stuff you won't wear, spend less time thinking about getting dressed every morning, and love the things you own. It's sounds easy but it's oh-so-not for me. I still want everything. I'm always convincing myself I need a pick me up. And while it would seem very Miami that a pick me up would mean a cortadito or bump of cocaine, I don't drink coffee or do coke. My drug of choice is an H&M. Preferably on a week day when the mall is quiet. 

This is an ongoing project, and I will come back to this. 

Edited to add: I wear the shoes a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot. They were a good choice.











Comments

Popular Posts